ShanghART Gallery 香格纳画廊
Home | Exhibitions | Artists | Research | Press | Shop | Space

Chronicle of DIAL 62761232


July 5th, 2004  
Xu Zhen, Yang Zhenzhong, Jin Feng (old), Jin Feng (junior), Tang Maohong, Huang Kui, Shao Yi and Yu Ji from Sichuan came up with the idea of “Delivery” after discussion in a café of Xianxia Road in Shanghai.

July 6th, 2004    
Artists were contacted and the initial list included more than 40 artists.

July 7th, 2004    
Chenqun Delivery Company was contacted and charged RMB 20000 as service fees.

July 14th, 2004    
Artists submitted their projects. Three kinds of projects were problematic: 1) Either too disgusting (after all, artworks were meant to be presented in viewers’ home); 2) or couriers couldn’t do it; 3) or artworks were too big.

July 15th, 2004    
A meeting was held in the office of Alexander Brandt. Artists from Shanghai almost all attended and the following details were decided: artworks should be all prepared before August 25th; couriers would be trained from September 1st to 9th; the exhibition would be held from September 10th to 20th; fifteen couriers would be needed and each artwork would need 15 copies; exhibition fees would be of RMB 500 per artist plus RMB 10000 from BizArt as organizer; Xu Zhen, Yang Zhenzhong, Jin Feng (junior), Tang Maohong and Huang Kui would constitute the organizing team and each of them would be in charge of getting in touch with artists; a collaboration with media would be necessary for this exhibition, therefore Wu Jianxin would be in charge of getting in touch with them and coordinating. …

July 16th, 2004    
Chenqun Delivery Company faxed to inform artists that the price increased to RMB 27000. Everyone agreed to consider another company.

July 17th, 2004    
Agreement with Lingyang Delivery Company was reached for the price of RMB 23000.

Artists’ projects were received and discussions were held over more details.

August 15th, 2004    
Received RMB 10000 from BizArt.

August 16th, 2004    
Wu Jianxin introduced several media organizations. Finally, Oriental Morning Post decided to support the exhibition by placing advertisement in the newspaper every single day of the show, plus writing a series of reports on the show. Oriental Morning Post intended to participate to the exhibition; the organizers only agreed that Jia Bu participated as an individual artist.

August 17th, 2004    
Contract with Lingyang Delivery Company was signed. Artists paid for deposit and required fifteen couriers to be available before August 20th.

August 18th, 2004    
The inner structure of the suitcases started to be designed.

August 28th, 2004    
Couriers attended meeting for the first time. Their ages ranged from 18 to 45. All of them were migrant workers coming from other provinces except for two local laid-off ones.

September 1st to 9th, 2004    
Couriers were trained in BizArt Center.

September 10th, 2004    
Exhibition opened. 62761232 was the phone number of the delivery company. All the couriers started to work before 12:00 a.m. After 4:00 p.m., they came back with favorable feedbacks and each of them delivered artworks to 2 to 3 viewers on average. No incidents ever happened. Couriers all had high spirits and became confident about completing their assignments. In that very day, more than 40 people telephoned to make appointment to view the artworks.

September 11th, 2004    
It was heavily raining in the morning. A dozen of couriers were on work before midday. And approximately 30 viewers made appointments by phone.

September 12th – 19th, 2004    
On average, 30 people called everyday to view the exhibition.

Every morning couriers gathered in BizArt Art Center with the exhibition suitcase so artists could check the number of works and eventually add more of them. Meanwhile, the number of people who viewed the exhibition varied from one day to another, from 40 at the most to 1 or 2 at the least, with an average of 10. People calling included company employees, employers, teachers, students, housewives, unemployed people and others with various.

From the exhibition opening to its end, various media kept reporting each step of the show, including print advertising, articles, press reports, radio broadcasts and TV reports. Oriental Morning Post supported the exhibition.

September 20th, 2004    
On the last day of the exhibition, even more people called to view the show. In the evening, couriers sent all the suitcases back to BizArt Art Center.

The show was over.

(Translated by Sachiel Yuu )

Related Exhibitions:
Dial 62761232


© Copyright ShanghART Gallery 1996-2022

沪公网安备 31010402001234号